Monday, August 27, 2007

Elderfest and a Real Desk

I really want to go to ELDERFEST '07. Yep, you heard me right, I want to go to hang out with a bunch of old people (as opposed to my parents) in DC. This is in fact a real event (as if I could really make up a title like this) put on by the District of Columbia's Office on Aging, Family and Child Services, featuring "arts and crafts for sale, information exhibits, free health screenings, health and wellness exhibits, live entertainment from a local blues singer [hopefully Blind Mississippi Whiteboy Pigs Feet Dupree] , music, dancing, demonstration bingo, and much more."

So the city is spending money to bring old folks together in the sweltering DC summer heat in August to glue macaroni and glitter onto construction paper and to check the latest condition of their battalion of liver spots that remind me of some exotic flesh-eating disease!

Surely we can come up with something better for these old folks to do with their time, like make fake Gucci wallets to sell on the street outside of the Metro station.

In other news I received a real desk at work. It only took close to 4 months but the Government managed to find a permanent space for me. I think I'm going to miss my old desk though. The side of my head is going to miss the constant radiation treatment coming from the microwave stationed to my right. Sure it's warm now but think of it come winter time when I can save money and not buy a new winter coat or wear bulky sweaters just to stay warm. Plus the added benefit of sticking a few slices of bacon to my temple (no pun intended) to add to my egg sandwich for a complete breakfast. Oh well, I'll have to settle for a window view of air conditioners and other offices.

No comments: