Thursday, August 16, 2007

Joly Jose! Ay Dios Mio

Don't know how many of you follow minor league baseball news out of Long Island, NY but I heard something today that I had to share.

Jose Offerman, one time New York Met, was arrested last night after attacking a pitcher with a bat in a minor league game in Long Island after being hit in the calf with a fastball.
The story is here.

But what really bothers me about this is his half-assed, "oh I guess I just snapped" excuse. I've played a little ball in my time and been hit by pitches. some by accident and some intentional (and some by my wife when I wasn't looking!) but never have I felt the urge to take the bat and attack the pitcher. In fact I'd never even think about charging the mound. This guy is just a dope and not only should be prosecuted by authorities for assault but also should be permanently banned from baseball.

Why does major league baseball not have a policy on charging the mound (even without a bat) that results in automatic suspensions? Even though there isn't a current rule, if you do rush the mound during a MLB game you'll most likely be suspended but how come that isn't in writing?

In the NFL or NBA as soon as you throw a punch you're out of the game and automatically suspended. The NBA Rule states:
Section VI--Fighting Fouls
a. Technical fouls shall be assessed players, coaches or trainers for fighting. No free throws will be attempted. The participants will be ejected immediately.
b. This rule applies whether play is in progress or the ball is dead.
c. If a fighting foul occurs with a team in possession of the ball, that team will retain possession on the sideline nearest the spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended.
d. If a fighting foul occurs with neither team in possession, play will be resumed with a jump ball between any two opponents who were in the game at the center circle.
e. A fine not exceeding $35,000 and/or suspension may be imposed upon such person(s) by the Commissioner at his sole discretion.
Now if Bud "I hate Barry" Selig can get his act together, we the fans can go back to enjoying baseball and the bats can go back in the rack where they belong.

This has been brought to you by the letters "F" and "U" (not necessarily in that order.)

No comments: