Thursday, May 9, 2013

Judge Me Not By The Bottle I Carry


There are certain things a runner holds sacred. Among them are his shoes, his sunglasses, and his hydration methods. You do not mess with these things. We are creatures of habit and don’t do well with change (or icy roads for that matter).



This is where I found myself yesterday morning. It’s 5:50am and I’m sitting in my car in the garage at my gym. I’m 30 miles away from home. I know I want to go out for a run this morning. I know I want to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8 miles in. Even though it’s spring and fairly cool outside, I’ll still need water at least twice while out on the trail. I also realize that I left my full water bottle sitting on the kitchen counter when I left the house a half hour ago.



What are my options? I could take my chances with the only water fountain on the trail. Is it on? Did a homeless guy or a bird use it as a bathroom? I could take one of the empty bottles of water that are in the back of my car but they won’t fit in my carrier.



So that leaves me with one option. The Kid’s bottle! It certainly not ideal but it holds water and has a closeable lid on top. But how do I hide the Lighting McQueen graphic on the front so that I’m not laughed out of the gym (or off the trail)?



Another stroke of genius. It goes into my water bottle holder and looks just like a red water bottle, albeit one with a blue top. Does anybody have to know? No…well until you read this and eventually tell him when he’s a little older and can old it over his old man’s head.



But judge not less you be judged on your hydration methods. Ok?

No comments: