Friday, June 5, 2009

Week of Nationals

Let us not forget that we are a great nation. A great nation indeed. And as a great nation we make it our most patriotic obligation to make sure that we observe so many “national” days that you can’t keep track anymore (i.e. National Big Wind Day). Here was my daily list.

Wednesday, June 3 – National Running Day
Not only was it real, it was real hot! I made it about six miles from my office to the airport before I said #@$@$ it and jumped on the Metro for the ride home. I’m not sure of the origins of this fine observance but I do know that perhaps we can pick a better time then June to observe. What about the end of April or very early May? It’s warm enough in most of the country to get out on the roads, trails, treadmills, and even hamster wheels and really work up a good sweat all in fairly mild weather. Not like June in DC when either the temperature or the humidity (and sometimes both) race to see who can hit 90 first! I do have to thank Jeff for organizing the run, next year we have to get more of you out with us!

Friday, June 5 – National Doughnut Day
Free food is the foundation on which this country was built. That’s the reason that our national bird is the bald eagle and not the turkey like Ben Franklin wanted. If we made the turkey our national bird, nobody could eat it and then what would we have for thanksgiving?? My guess is even more doughnuts. Unfortunately I missed out on the free doughnut promotions that Dunkin and Krispy were offering but I still got a half decent plain-cake this morning over at 7-11.

Friday, June 5 – Sunday, June 7 – Nationals Park Weekend
This actually isn’t anything official or to observe but the Mets are in town this weekend. Anybody have 4 seats for Saturday’s game? I won’t pay over face value so get over it.

No comments: