Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yeah, Give Me That Flu with a Side of Bacon

The saying goes, “give it time and this too shall pass” well it did. Through the miracle of pharmaceuticals and some old fashioned rest I whooped that swine flu...err....H1N1 Influenza (sorry CDC people) and am finally back here ready to blog away.

It’s funny. When you tell people you have the flu, the responses are usually along the lines of “get better soon” but when they hear it’s H1NI then those responses turn more grave, “oh my ...are you ok?” Why is that? It’s simply a strain of the flu virus not the end all be all of mankind.

The media has blow this so far out of proportion (and continue to do so) that it sometimes hard for us to remember that this is just one type of flu and you can easily catch it just like the seasonal flu or bird flu depending on where in the world you are.

In my flu-related experiences I will say that this came on very fast though. I felt fine last Thursday morning but by the time I got back to my house I was down for the count. Lucky for me I have a wonderful wife who will stand there and take all of my, “oh I’m fine” crap and then tell me to go to the doctor or I’d still be trying to beat this thing the old fashioned way (with a whip and a midget dressed as a which doctor).

I will also pause and ask if it’s really the best thing for the doctor/clinic’s office to be playing a movie like, “Charlotte’s Web” on the TV when so many people are being diagnosed with H1N1 (99% of cases in our area are of the Piggly-Wiggly variety.)? Couldn’t we find something better...like “Canadian Bacon” or “Porky’s” to fill the time. You know something that wouldn’t remind me of pigs and pig-related products.

Bottom line is I’m feeling much better and am back at work (which explains how I have time to write this). I am getting a little tired today which is to be expected. My only concern now is I haven’t run since last Wednesday and I really want to get out there. I don’t think it’s going to be today though so I may just have to go out there Saturday and see if I can slog thru 10 miles.

Tomorrow look for an update on my outfit for the Atlanta Marathon which is now two weeks away.

No comments: