Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fat, Phat, and DAMN!

As news of Heavy D’s passing spread, a fraternity brother of mine penned on Facebook, “That really sucks. He was an important part of all those great '90s bar mitzvahs.”

Truer words may never have been spoken.  

I was a fan of the “Overweight” Lover and thoroughly enjoyed his music, although I was never able to replicate his Heavy D Shake. His passing was sad and I thought back to the music I grew up with in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I don’t know if it’s the same thing as when Janis Joplin or John Lennon died, in fact I think it’s not even close. But it did get me thinking about who were the top Fattest Rappers of All Time. 

A quick search of the interweb on my Google machine shows that I’m not the only crazy MF out there thinking about this kind of thing. In fact Slate Magazine was also pining on this topic. And they’re not the only ones, as our friends over at funkjelly.com have also come up with a list, as have some Amazon users who came up not only with a list but also linked in the songs so you could buy them (ummmm…capitalism!) 

All of this got me thinking that I should make my own list. As you’ll see some of the names intersect with the lists above, although you will notice 3 names I did not put in there that others did (PM Dawn, Rick Ross, and Dr. Dre) PM Dawn were singers and hippies, and not really rappers; Rick Ross is a punk who stole his name from Freeway Ricky Ross (famous crack dealer), and finally Dr. Dre (east coast) was really more of a DJ who only occasionally rapped.

So the Nobody Likes A Jerk Top 10 Fat Rappers of All Time:
  1. Biggie
  2. Big Pun
  3. Fat Joe
  4. Chubb Rock
  5. Heavy D
  6. Fat Boys
  7. Biz Markee
  8. Raekwon
  9. Missy Elliot
  10. Boo Ya Tribe
Honorable Mention: Chunky A (aka Arsenio Hall)

But perhaps the fattest of all Fat Rappers is this guy:



No comments: