Monday, July 12, 2010

Why Do They Call You Buzz?

So what goes into a nickname? Some are complete opposites, like a tall guy being called “Tiny” or a fat guy called “Slim”. What do you have to do to get a nickname like “Buzz”?

Do you sport that Dr. J, circa 1977 afro? No. I guess that would look awfully silly.

Then what is it? Why was “Buzz” Aldrin called Buzz? He was born Edwin Eugene Aldrin, that’s not exactly an easy leap to Buzz. According to our friends at Wikipedia, “...The nickname "Buzz" originated in childhood: the younger of his two elder sisters mispronounced "brother" as "buzzer", and this was shortened to Buzz. Aldrin made it his legal first name in 1988.[9][10]”

So he legally changed it? Geeze, I guess Chad Ochocino wasn’t the first guy to tell his parents to “F-off! I’m taking a different name then you gave me, even though you probably spent month after agonizing month picking just the perfect name to express your joy and honor to have a child like me. Yep, I don’t care if I’m forsaking my birthright. I’ve been to the Moon damnit! The friggin’ Moon!

Of course I guess it didn’t work out too bad for him, I mean he did walk on the Moon and get inducted in to the New Jersey Hall of Fame, so who am I to question.

Just for the record. I was not thinking of Buzz Aldrin when I wrote this, he just happens to be the most famous “Buzz” I could think of at the time. Of note are other “Buzz”es through history including: um...well other then the fictional character “Buzz” Lightyear (and I think that’s his real given name) I couldn’t come up with any others. Congratulations Mr. Aldrin, you are truly The Boss Buzz.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm......Buzz Eagle-Diamond has a nice ring to it!